Monday, December 5, 2011

Metformin


Started Metformin a few days ago... It is an interesting drug for sure. I don't have type 2 diabetes or PCOS (which are the two common reasons people take it) but Dr. C (my RE) believes I am insulin resistant based on my egg quality the last two cycles.

Crazy how things evolve... Dr. C said it best... He said "6 months ago, I was looking at a relatively young, healthy couple with male factor infertility that I could manage through IVF and ICSI. Now... two cycles later... I see highly compromised eggs. Eggs with severe chromosomal abnormalities and overall quality issues. We now unequivocally have an egg problem." Well. Pfftttt. Not much to say in response to that. Lol. So here I am... looking at the man I have paid almost 40k out of pocket to create me a baby and pleading/imploring how we possibly fix this "so called egg problem'. His reply... "I have an idea." He explained what Metformin is... stated that although I don't have PCOS my eggs look someone who does. So why not treat it similarly? Seems logical to me. He explained the side effects and risks, which we both agreed were far outweighed by the possibility of better egg quality for the next go around. So Metformin is now in the mix for the next few months.

Let me just say... when he mentioned there is typically "some" gastrointestinal issues when taking Metformin... I didn't anticipate full days of holding my stomach in pain and hours on the toilet (tmi, I know). OMG. That stuff is miserable. Supposedly my body just needs to get used it? I hope this is case. They also have me on a "slow build" for the drug. So for one week I take one pill a day (500mg), next week two pills a day (am & pm), week after three pills a day and then on the fourth week I will be to my dosage of four pills a day. That will be 2000 mg of this lovely drug. *Sigh* The things we do to our bodies for our baby efforts.

Anyone else out there on Metformin that I can commiserate with? Does it get better?

Also, wanted to thank amiracle4usDetour and eggsinarow for my first ever comments! Thank you for your words and support. I really appreciate it.

10 comments:

  1. Delurking to just let you know I had a similar problem - not PCOS,young(ish) but rotten eggs - my doc experimented with Metformin for me, having read a study that it may improve egg quality. Really worked with me - made a huge difference with the my second IVF (which did the trick). the first one was a complete bust, and the second (with metformin, which was the only change) was a different ballgame all together. good luck with it. it also threw my body for a loop. but worth it in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't taken it but have taken care of many patients on it (I'm a nurse) and it does improve. Your body will adjust and calm down. I know some RE's have also used DHEA to help improve egg quality...some don't like it...but just a thought!
    Sorry the news received wasn't the best. I hope this all helps!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had horrible trouble with metformin for the length of my treatment. If I ate too much fat or carbs it was HORRIBLE. If you don't improve ask if you can have metformin XR-it extended release.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wanted to say that I'm sorry about your Metformin woes. I just found your blog through the lost and found. I also just gave you an award. Stop over at my blog to check it out!! http://rainbowmaking101.blogspot.com/ Good luck with the metformin and hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delurking as well. I found your website I think from the IVF fourms and went through IVF#1 in Sept & #2 in Nov but we froze everything and will do a transfer in Jan. Anyhow, like you I don't have PCOS but my ovaries look like it. After a failed IVF#1 my RE suggested Metformin for imperical reasons. I started out the same as you, week 1 = one pill a day (I chose evening to start so I could sleep through the issues). Week 2 = one morning, one evening. However, my RE chose not to increase it from there. My gastrointestional symptoms were definitely present in the beginning but now I can take a pill and have no effects. Good luck. My IVF#2 retrieval it seems on surface to have gone really well but we won't know until after the transfer in January if it worked out. Also, have you had an endometrial biopsy? I just had one during my mock IVF cycle this month...might be worth considering.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found you through Liebster award from AJ. I am on metformin....started a couple months ago (1000 mg per day). I am not insulin resistant, but do have thin pcos. I had horrendous stomach issues and diarrhea....my ass was literally on fire....and then it got a million times better......stick it out. Try not to miss a dose or you get a mild version of the initial symptoms. I am currently in my 2ww of medicated cycle 6 after a missed miscarriage in April. Glad to meet ya. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never been on metformin myself. I've heard the side effects are terrible to cope with. Starting my next cycle of injections in mid January for the IVF so I'll be there with you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Make sure to eat something with your Metformin! It really helps! Also, eat less fat and sugar, and the stomach stuff should improve. What dosage did he start you at?

    If all else fails, Metformin also has an XR formulation that some people say is better for belly upset. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG. I hate PCOS and I hate Metformin. But I've noticed staying away from carbs helps (not that I do it) and getting on the XR version. I also take all of my meds at night. Huge difference.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi there, just stumbled on your blog from another IF blog:)

    have you taken a glucose tolerance test? it's a little weird that a doc would rx metformin for IF if there are no signs of T2D or insulin resistance. bad eggs don't HAVE TO come from T2D. there can be other reasons.

    just read you got a new doc - so maybe you arent on metformin anymore?. good luck either way and hope everything works out for you and your DH!!

    ReplyDelete